Description

“Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” –Mark Jenkins

Wednesday 26 August 2009

Day 111 – 23rd August, Sunday. Boat trip to the Kornati Islands.

We boarded the ‘Argonaut’ at 8:30am. The tourist guy who had sold us the trip told us breakfast would be included, so I was eager to get going and get fed, particularly as Ant had already had his breakfast before we left. We were set to travel around 300 or so islands, including those of the Kornati National Park, stopping twice throughout the day for free time to swim, snorkel and walk etc. We set off about 20 minutes later and cruised south down the coast to the sounds of tinkling Croatian music from the Captain’s speakers. Breakfast arrived in the form of a huge doorstep cheese and ham sandwich, but not before we were given a biscuit and a small shot of a homemade alcoholic appetiser (yes, for breakfast!!!!). It smelt like pure alcohol and reminded me of a time in Peru when I had collapsed due to altitude sickness and woke to the tour guide slapping neat alcohol on my face… so I decided to dunk the biscuit in and try it rather than take a sip. I’m glad I did, I think it stripped a couple of layers from my tongue and the inside of my mouth. Thankfully it had evaporated into vapours before it reached my throat.
Lunch was cooked on board; fried fish and pork with cabbage salad (we think), red wine, white wine and water. Simple, but very nice. Not an expensive day out (about £45 for the two of us, all food and wine included), but a long day and much of it spent on the boat looking out at the islands (which although beautiful and occasionally dotted with naked people, they do all look very similar after a while). Many other faster boats passed us and I guess they had longer at each stop than we did, but all in all a worthwhile trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment