Description

“Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” –Mark Jenkins

Monday 19 January 2015

OMG - less than a month to go!

...and I've bought myself a new toy! a big boys toy this time :-)
Finally caved in. The trip to Brazil and the realisation that my beloved Pentax is actually holding me back now I decided to get some advice from my tutor and ended up spending my savings on a Nikon D4. Beside myself with excitement.
Just enough time to get some practise in before we head off on Valentine's day.
As for other preparation news, all seems to be going to plan. Collected my US dollars and Kenyan shillings today and have been in contact with the camp to ensure we have bean bags and transfer vehicles etc when we arrive.
I have a pile forming in the lounge of all the gear I need to take  but with only a 15kg limit, I'm pretty sure it won't all make it into the rucksack. Particularly as my new camera with a borrowed lens already weighs almost 3kgs and the rucksack itself weighs a few more... who needs clothes anyway eh!
We have decided to get VISAs on arrival as I need my passport for work between now and then and so am a little reluctant to send it away in case it does not return in time.
I re-read my blog from the last visit to the Mara back in 2011 and was surprised at some of the things I have completely forgotten - my memory is way worse than I thought. I guess the onset of middle age was bound to show some signs long before I want it to.
I am keeping an eye on the Kicheche camps facebook page for unfolding stories that we might be able to shoot when we get there, and it seems they have recently spotted Caracal in daylight which is one of the cats I have yet to see let alone capture on camera. This picture was taken by Victoria Young.

1 comment:

  1. Very true. I love adventure trips. Last week I went to Australia on adventure trip and there I saw pictures of Port Macquarie Photographer . I can’t tell you how amazing pictures he had clicked of animals, birds and of weddings. I am impressed with his work.

    ReplyDelete